Awards Administered by the Office of Undergraduate Education
Provost's Award for Faculty Excellence in Undergraduate Research Mentoring
The University of Texas at Dallas is fully committed to providing a robust and dynamic research environment for its undergraduate students. In appreciation of the exceptionally dedicated efforts of the UT Dallas faculty, the Office of Undergraduate Education and the Office of the Provost are pleased to annually recognize an outstanding UT Dallas faculty member who excels in his/her undergraduate research mentoring efforts. The Provost's Award for Faculty Excellence in Undergraduate Research Mentoring seeks to formally acknowledge a faculty mentor who demonstrates superior leadership, support, and guidance towards the development of UT Dallas undergraduate students and their research endeavors.
If selected to receive the annual Provost's Award for Faculty Excellence in Undergraduate Research Mentoring, the awarded faculty member receives the following:
- One-time $5,000 cash award
- Recognition during the Spring Honors Convocation ceremony
- Commemorative plaque presented to faculty member during the Spring Honors Convocation ceremony
Award Selection Criteria
The Provost's Award for Faculty Excellence in Undergraduate Research Mentoring Selection Committee is responsible for selecting the annual recipient. Candidates should exemplify a commitment to personalizing the undergraduate student research experience through involving students in hands-on projects, encouraging scholarly publication and presentation, and mentoring researchers one-on-one. In addition, candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- Taught at UT Dallas for a minimum of two years
- Engaged in mentoring UT Dallas undergraduate students for a minimum of two years
- Engaged in research at any UT Dallas campus for a minimum of three years
Anyone may nominate a candidate for the Provost's Award for Faculty Excellence in Undergraduate Research Mentoring, and should do so using the Provost's Award for Faculty Excellence in Undergraduate Research Mentoring Award Nomination Form. Nominations are due no later than March 3, 2017. A representative of the Office of the Provost will announce the winner of the Provost's Award for Faculty Excellence in Undergraduate Research Mentoring at the 2017 Honors Convocation Ceremony.
Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award
An anonymous gift established the Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award. The purpose of this award is to provide public recognition in the form of a monetary award to an outstanding senior student graduating each year from UT Dallas. The recipient of this award will be the senior student judged to have best demonstrated during his/her undergraduate career at UT Dallas those qualities of leadership, commitment, perseverance, creativity, and service to community.
The Outstanding Undergraduate Award will be presented annually at spring Honors Convocation. The award is valued at $5,000 and a plaque or certificate will be presented to the award winner.
The recipient of the award will be selected by the Dean of Undergraduate Education with the assistance of a special committee appointed annually for this purpose. No more than one award will be given in any single year, and any tie must be resolved by the committee or it will be resolved by the Dean of Undergraduate Education. The special committee shall be composed of the following members:
- Faculty - 2 members
- Staff - 2 members
- Student Body - 1 member
To be eligible for this award, a student must:
- Display to a high degree those admirable personal traits described above.
- Rank academically in the upper quarter of his/her class at the end of his/her undergraduate curriculum.
- Have completed more than one-half of his/her undergraduate degree requirements at UT Dallas.
- Occupy or have held positions of leadership in one or more major student organizations and/or in state or nationally recognized student organizations.
- Be a candidate for a baccalaureate degree during the current academic year.
- Be nominated by a UT Dallas faculty or staff member.
Identification and Selection Procedure
Timely identification and proper selection procedures are the most vital parts of this program. The following procedures will be followed:
- Nominations shall be received from faculty and staff
- The outstanding senior student(s) selected will be nominated for this award not later than March 3, 2017. The nominations will be submitted to the Dean of Undergraduate Education by this date and no further disclosure of the nominations will be made.
- Each nominee will be notified and asked to submit their packets in a plain folder to the Office of Undergraduate Education in April.
- Nominees are encouraged to provide a minimum of two, and a maximum of five letters of recommendation.
- After the selection is made, the winner will not be disclosed until announced at spring Honors Convocation.
- The award will not be made posthumously or to a selected student who fails to complete degree requirements. In either of these eventualities, the highest qualified alternate will be designated as the recipient of the award.
Undergraduate Alumni Achievement Award
The Honors Convocation ceremony includes the formal recognition of the Undergraduate Alumni Achievement Award. The recipient of this award is inducted as an honorary member of the UT Dallas Chapter of Phi Kappa Phi, which is one of the Country's oldest and most prestigious honor societies. The Undergraduate Alumni Achievement Award recipient presents the keynote address at Honors Convocation. Information about the recipient of the latest Undergraduate Alumni Achievement Award can be found here.
Christina Gallegos Deoja