The Office of Undergraduate Education

Getting Help with Undergraduate Education

Several of the frequently asked questions associated with undergraduate education can be answered by reviewing information located on the UT Dallas websites listed below:

If you cannot find the answer to your question by using these resources or the following list, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Education at 972-883-6706.

Undergraduate Education Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is a typical course load for an undergraduate student?
There is no general minimum course load; however, to be considered full-time, an undergraduate student must be enrolled in at least twelve semester hours during each long term (fall and spring semesters). The standard full-time course load is fifteen semester hours. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office and review the Catalog before they reduce their course load to determine what effect the reduced course load will have on current and future financial aid eligibility.
Can I take more than the maximum number of credit hours?
Students that wish to register for more than eighteen semester credit hours must have the permission of the associate dean of their school; undergraduates with an undeclared major must receive permission from the dean of undergraduate education.
I am a high school student. How can I take classes at UT Dallas?
UT Dallas will consider the co-enrollment of highly-qualified high school students in specific UT Dallas courses on an individual basis. Co-enrollment decisions will be made based on the academic credentials of the applicant, the scholastic rigor of the requested classes, the course prerequisites, and the demand for the class on the part of ongoing UT Dallas students. Please visit the Special Admissions page for more information about this process.
What are the requirements if I did not pass all three sections of the THEA test?
Students who are required to take the TSI/THEA and do not successfully pass all three sections (or do not take a portion of the exam) will be required to register for Developmental Education courses for all areas in which they did not achieve the minimum standard. Their enrollment in Developmental Education at UT Dallas is required during the first semester at the University. Students are required to remain in Developmental Education until they pass the THEA examination in the particular content area in which they had previously failed.
Can I replace a grade by retaking a course?
An undergraduate student is limited to three grade-bearing enrollment attempts for any specific class. A student attempting the same class for the third time will be charged a penalty fee equivalent to the out-of-state tuition for the same number of semester credit hours. The grade from the first attempt will not be used in computing a student's GPA. All further repeats will be used in computing the student's cumulative GPA. The grade from the last attempt will determine credit earned to satisfy degree requirements. When a student repeats a course at UT Dallas, the student must complete and submit a Repeated Course Adjustment Form to the Office of the Registrar. Regardless of the number of times a course is repeated, any single course can contribute only once to the number of hours required for graduation. All grades will appear on a student's transcript. If a course was originally taken for a letter grade, it may not be repeated for Credit/No Credit in lieu of a letter grade. For more information please review the Undergraduate Catalog.
How can I place out of some of my classes?
Students that wish to receive examination credit must first meet with an academic advisor to complete a request form that is then submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Please review information about the Advanced Placement Program (AP) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) for more details.
What courses should I take next semester?
To plan a schedule for the following semester, students should meet with their academic advisor and review the course schedule for the following semester as well as the requirements listed on their degree plan.
Which catalog should I follow?
Provided the requisite courses continue to be offered, and given continuous enrollment, students are bound by the core curriculum requirements of the catalog in force at the time of their admission, within that catalog's six- year limit. For students who change their major, the graduation requirements for that major are those stated in the catalog in force at the time of the change.
What degrees are offered at UT Dallas?
Click here to see a list of programs offered by each school at UT Dallas.
How can I find a tutor?
Ask your professor, a Teaching Assist in your program, or visit the GEMS Center for a referral.
Where can I get help with study skills?
Students should visit the GEMS Center or the Student Counseling Center for help with developing study skills.
Where can I get help with test anxiety?
Students should visit the Student Counseling Center for help with test anxiety.
Where can I get help with time management?
Students should visit the Student Counseling Center for help with developing time management skills.
How do I graduate with honors?
Students who show particular distinction in scholarship at the University are afforded the opportunity to graduate with Latin Honors and/or School Honors. Only grades earned at UT Dallas are used in determining graduation with honors. Please visit the Office of the Registrar for more information.
How do I qualify for the Dean's list?
The top ten percent of all students in each school who complete 12 or more semester credit hours during the fall and spring semesters will be recognized as members of the Dean's List of their respective schools. Students without a declared major are eligible for the Office of Undergraduate Education Dean's List.