Texas Success Initiative Exemptions
Pending institutional verification of the following situations, TSI exemptions apply to:
- Students who are non-degree seeking or non-certificate-seeking.
- Students who have graduated with an associate or baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education. Transcripts must be filed with Enrollment Services for verification purposes.
- Students who have previously attended any Texas public institution and have been determined to have met readiness standards by that institution.
- Military Service:
- Students who are serving as active duty members of the Armed Forces of the United States are TSI exempt. Official documentation of active duty status for the enrollment period is required. Students must file a Verification of Active Duty form each semester with Enrollment Services.
- Students who are on active duty in the Texas National Guard are TSI exempt. A verification letter from the Unit Administrator is required each semester by Enrollment Services.
- Students who are currently serving, and have for at least the last three years before enrollment served, as members of a reserve component of the armed forces are TSI exempt. A verification letter from the Unit Administrator is required each semester by Enrollment Services.
- Students who on or after August 1, 1990, were honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as members of the Armed Forces of the United States, Texas National Guard, or of a reserve component of the Armed Forces of the United States. A copy of the DD214 form showing this status is required and must be filed with Enrollment Services.
- Students who transfer to UTD from a regionally-accredited private or out-of-state college or university and who have satisfactorily completed college-level coursework as determined by a grade of C or better in courses that are recognized as requiring college-level reading, writing and/or mathematical skills as approved by UT Dallas.
- College Entrance Examination Scores: For a period of five (5) years from the date of testing, students who are tested and perform at or above the following standards are also TSI exempt and are not required to take additional placement testing prior to registration for courses at UT Dallas:
- ACT - Composite score of 23 or higher, with individual math, reading and English scores of no less than 19.
- SAT - Composite score of 1070 or higher, with 500 verbal and 500 math. Residual SAT cannot be used for TSI exemption.
- Texas Assessment of Academic Skills (TAAS): For a period of three (3) years from the date of testing, students who are tested and perform on the TAAS with a minimum scale score of 1770 on the writing test, a Texas Learning Index (TLI) of 86 on the mathematics test, and 89 on the reading test are TSI exempt for the corresponding sections.
- Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS): For a period of three (3) years from the date of testing, students who are tested and perform on the 11th grade exit-level TAKS with a minimum scale score of 2200 on the math section and/or a minimum scale score of 2200 on the English Language Arts section and a writing subsection score of at least 3, are TSI exempt for the corresponding sections. (Note: The writing subsection score is often not printed on high school transcripts, but can usually be found on the exit level TAKS score report.)
The following placement tests may be used to satisfy UT Dallas' TSI requirements. Please note that with the exception of the THEA (Texas Higher Education Assessment) test, the writing requirement is fulfilled by meeting minimum score requirements of both the writing and essay sections of the other tests noted herein.
- ACCUPLACER - Students with the following minimum scores are TSI exempt. Reading: 78, Math: 63, Writing: 80/Essay: 6.
- ASSET - Students with the following minimum scores are TSI exempt. Reading: 41, Math: 38, Writing: 40/Essay: 6.
- COMPASS - Students with the following minimum scores are TSI exempt. Reading: 81, Math: 39, Writing: 59/Essay: 6.
- MAPS - Students with the following minimum scores are TSI exempt. Reading: 29, Math: 22, Writing: 21/Essay: 6. MAPS scores are acceptable only if taken prior to 9/1/2003.
- THEA - Students with the following minimum scores are TSI exempt. Reading: 230, Math: 230, Writing: 220.
Note: Official transcripts should be submitted to UT Dallas Enrollment Services as soon as possible. Official evaluation must be completed to determine course equivalencies before a TSI waiver will be granted. If you are a student with a TSI Hold on your record, it must be removed prior to registering for courses. Contact an academic advisor in your program for more information.