Undergraduate Research Scholar Awards
Applications for the 2018-2019 Undergraduate Research Scholar Awards will be accepted through November 16, 2018. To apply, visit https://utdallas.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7UThaaAw7Z1JYNv
About The Program
The Undergraduate Research Scholar Awards are a one-time competitive award made by the Office of Undergraduate Education, designed to reward the contributions and facilitate the professional development of undergraduate researchers at UT Dallas.
Students selected to receive an Undergraduate Research Scholar Award receive $500, awarded upon participation in the Undergraduate Research Scholar Award poster competition held in mid-April 2019. Faculty research sponsors supporting participant projects receive $300 (for supplies, project travel, poster printing, etc.).
In order for a submission to receive consideration for an Undergraduate Research Scholar Award, the student must meet certain eligibility requirements. Student applicants must be:
- Currently-enrolled, degree-seeking UT Dallas undergraduate researchers
- Enrolled at UT Dallas through the Spring 2019 semester
- Contributing to an existing research project, under the supervision of a faculty principal investigator OR acting as an independent principal investigator under the guidance of a faculty research mentor
- Able to create a research poster encapsulating the project and present results at the Undergraduate Research Scholar Awards poster contest event in mid-April 2019. Semifinalists selected during the poster contest must present their posters and results to corporate judges and compete for cash prizes at the Undergraduate Research Scholar Awards poster finals event, held in late-April 2019.
How To Apply
Applications for the 2018-2019 Undergraduate Research Scholar Awards will be accepted through November 16, 2018 (5PM).
To apply, visit https://utdallas.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7UThaaAw7Z1JYNv. Applications will automatically be sent to faculty research sponsors for approval.
Which type of research topics are eligible for an Undergraduate Research Scholar Award?
There are no restrictions on the nature of the research – it can be in any field. However, the research must be on a serious, credible topic of inquiry, and there must be a faculty supervisor (principal investigator or research mentor) for the project.
May I submit an application for a project that has already been completed?
What should be included in my application description?
You should focus on the goals of your research and how you plan to achieve those goals. If your research is part of a larger project, you need to make it clear what your piece of that project is.
My application has special symbols that don't work in the text box. What should I do?
You can attach a .pdf with your project description. Type "Please see the attached" in the text box and attach your application.
When will I know if I will receive an Undergraduate Research Scholar Award?
The Office of Undergraduate Education will notify applicants of their status by December 14, 2019.
How do I print my poster for the poster contest?
Award recipients are responsible for printing the required poster for the poster contest event and are encouraged to consult with their faculty research supervisor for poster guidance and support. The Office of Undergraduate Education will host a How to Design a Research Poster event during the spring 2019 semester.
- November 16, 2018 – Deadline to submit application
- December 14, 2018 – Deadline to inform applicants of decisions
- Mid-March 2019 – How to Design a Research Poster event
- Mid-April 2019 – Poster Contest event
- Late-April 2019 – Poster Finals event