How to Be a Mentor
Mentors for the Transfer Mentor Program are current UT Dallas students that have also transferred to the University of Texas at Dallas from another institution. Mentors are specifically selected for their desire to help new transfer students transition to UT Dallas. Mentors are volunteers seeking to help their fellow Comets.
Successful and engaged UT Dallas undergraduates are encouraged to apply for the opportunity to mentor an incoming transfer student. Being a mentor provides valuable experience for students who seek to develop their communication and leadership skills, strengthen their connection to UT Dallas, and create a meaningful legacy.
Applications to be a mentor will open in late February 2021.
Application: Prospective mentors undergo a vetting process that includes an application, interview, and two professional or academic references. Mentor applicants have learned from their own experience as an incoming transfer student about how to succeed in a college classroom, utilize vital campus resources, approach faculty and staff on a new campus, and get involved as leaders at UT Dallas.
Training: Selected mentors participate in live group and online training sessions to prepare them to mentor their assigned mentee. Training topics include Everyday Leadership, Mentoring Ethics, Cultural Competency, On-Campus Resources, and more. Training sessions occur during the summer and throughout the school year.
Requirements for Mentors
- Mentors must possess a cumulative GPA 3.0 or above.
- New mentor applicants must supply two references and participate in a phone interview.
- Students selected to serve as mentors for the 2021-22 academic year must complete a series of online training modules by August 30, 2021.
- Mentors must attend an in-person orientation and training session at the start of both the fall and spring semesters.
- Program participation requires attendance of monthly small group sessions (six sessions per academic year). Participating mentors may sign up for these sessions based on the availability of their schedule.