UT Dallas VolunTIER Program
The VolunTIER program recognizes UT Dallas students for their academic achievements and community service through the Dean's Service Milestone Recognition and the Service Honors award.
The Dean's Service Milestone Recognition and Service Honors award are two separate programs that have different requirements and eligibility criteria.
Dean's Service Milestone Recognition
Awarded on a semester-by-semester basis, the Dean's Service Milestone Recognition is given to students who serve in their communities, both the community at UT Dallas and those in the greater Dallas area and beyond.
During each long semester, both fall and spring, the Dean of Undergraduate Education will recognize students who've demonstrated a commitment to service while maintaining at least a 3.25 grade point average.
Students who meet the eligibility criteria will receive a letter from the Dean at the conclusion of the semester. While this recognition is not noted on a student's official transcript, students are encouraged to include this honor on their resumes.
Eligibility Criteria for Dean's Service Milestone Recognition
- Students must complete at least 40 service hours during a single long semester (fall or spring) and upload their service hours to the EngageUTD system, which is powered by the GivePulse software platform.
- Students must take at least 6 UT Dallas credit hours during that semester and maintain a 3.25 semester GPA.
Students who do not meet these requirements will not be eligible for a Dean's Service Milestone Recognition.
Service Honors Award
Seniors who have documented the required number of service hours each semester, meet the GPA thresholds, and have completed (or are on track to complete) a minimum of two long semesters at UT Dallas, may apply for the Service Honors Award.
While this recognition is not noted on official transcripts, students are encouraged to include this honor on their resumes.
All applicants who complete a total number of service hours equivalent to 40 hours per long semester and earn a cumulative GPA above 3.25 will receive a Service Honors medallion for Commencement.
Eligibility Criteria for Dean's Service Milestone Recognition
- Students must be in their final semester at UT Dallas and have a cumulative GPA above 3.25.
Students must complete a total number of service hours equivalent to 40 hours per long semester for as many semesters as they were enrolled at UT Dallas.
- For example, a student who entered UT Dallas as a freshman and graduated in 4 years would need to have accrued at least 320 volunteer hours (8 semesters x 40 hours per semester) during that time.
- Students must have been enrolled at UT Dallas for at least two long semesters (fall or spring) prior to graduation.
Eligible Service Opportunities
To submit hours for VolunTIER awards, students must complete volunteer hours with nonprofits or community-based organizations.
- Volunteer hours completed with student organizations and clubs at UT Dallas.
- Volunteer hours completed with schools, offices, or departments at UT Dallas.
- Volunteer hours completed with nonprofit organizations or agencies.
- Volunteer hours completed at local hospitals or other community-based entities.
- Remote volunteer hours completed with nonprofits or community-based entities.
- Unpaid internships with nonprofit organizations and agencies. Paid internships or unpaid internships with for-profit entities are not eligible for volunteer service credit.
Paid internships are not eligible for volunteer service credit.
To apply for the Dean's Service Milestone Recognition or the Service Honors Award, you must do two things:
Upload your volunteer hours to the EngageUTD system, which is powered by the GivePulse software platform.
All hours must be uploaded no later than Friday, April 15, 2022. Late additions to EngageUTD will not qualify for spring awards.
To learn more about this process, please view this video tutorial or click below to read our step-by-step instructions.
Instructions for Uploading Volunteer Hours to EngageUTD
- Go to utdallas.givepulse.com and click on the "Log In" link. We recommend doing so on a desktop or laptop device.
- Use Your NetID and password to log in to the system.
- Click on the "Add Impact" button.
- If you volunteered at a UTD event, check the drop-down menu to see if it's listed there.
- If you volunteered at a non-UTD event—or if your event isn't listed in the drop-down menu—click on the "Change" button.
- Type your organization name in the search bar to see if it appears. Make sure to change the mileage or zip code filters if necessary.
- If your organization appears, click on it. If it doesn't appear, click on the "Can't find it?" button.
- Add the name and address of the organization.
- You must add the event organizer's name and email address. This is the person who oversaw your volunteering and can verify your hours. Only the person who oversaw your volunteering can approve your hours.
- Add the date that you volunteered. Click the "+Time" button to add the exact hours that you volunteered. The system will automatically calculate your total hours in the "Impact Type & Measurement" section below.
- Don't add bulk hours in this section. Please add your hours to the EngageUTD system after each volunteer opportunity. For instance, don't input March 2 as your volunteer date, then add 175 hours to that date. If you need to add hundreds of hours to the system at once, please reach out to email@example.com before doing so.
- You can add a review, reflection, feedback, or notes if you desire, but this is optional.
- Under "Sharing and Privacy Settings," do not change or delete the groups that automatically appear there. We use these group affiliations to properly track your hours.
- Click on the "Add Impact" button, and you'll be taken to your personal dashboard. You'll see the hours you've submitted along with a "pending" icon that lets you know whether your hours have been verified or not.
- Once you click on the "Add Impact" button, an email will be sent to the event organizer, asking them to verify your hours. All they have to do is click "yes," and the icon on this screen will shift from "pending" to "accepted."
- Each time you submit volunteer hours using this form, an email will be sent to the event organizer for approval.
If you encounter any problems while using the EngageUTD system, please contact the Office of Student Volunteerism for assistance:
Office of Student Volunteerism
- Instructions for Uploading Volunteer Hours to EngageUTD
Submit an application by clicking the button below. If you plan to apply for both awards, you'll need to submit an application for each of them.
Applications must be submitted no later than Friday, April 15, 2022. Late applications will not be accepted.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions concerning the Dean's Service Milestone Recognition or the Service Honors award.