Texas Success Initiative Exemptions
Incoming Freshmen: Please Read
If you have an SAT/ACT score exemption from the list below, please submit official scores to UTD via College Board. Emailed/scanned score reports cannot be used. Once received, the TSI hold can be removed automatically if the exemption applies. This process usually takes 2-3 weeks. If you have dual credit coursework, please have an official college transcript sent to UTD for TSI evaluation.
Pending institutional verification of the following situations, TSI exemptions apply to:
- Students who are non-degree seeking or non-certificate-seeking.
- For a period of five (5) years from the date of testing, a student who is tested and performs at or above the following standards on the following tests. Scores must be submitted to UTD via College Board for TSI exemption.
- ACT administered prior to February 15, 2023:
- A composite score of 23 with a minimum of 19 on the English test shall be exempt for both the reading and writing sections of the TSI Assessment, and/ or 19 on the mathematics test shall be exempt for the mathematics section of the TSI Assessment.
- ACT administered on or after February 15, 2023:
- A combined score of 40 on the English and Reading (E +R) tests shall be exempt for both reading and writing or ELAR sections of the TSI Assessment. A score of 22 on the mathematics test shall be exempt for the mathematics section of the TSI Assessment. There is no composite score.
The use of scores from both the ACT administered prior to February 15, 2023, and the ACT administered on or after February 15, 2023, is allowable, as long as the benchmarks set forth in clause (ii) of this subparagraph are met.SAT
- SAT administered during or after March 2016:
- Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW) score of 480 or higher shall be exempt from the ELAR section TSI requirements.
- Math score of 530 or higher shall be exempt for the math TSI requirements.
- SAT aministered prior to March 2016:
- SAT prior to March 2016 are no longer valid. SAT scores are only applicable for five years from the date of the test.
- A minimum Level 2 score of 4000 on the English III shall be exempt from the TSI Assessment required under this title for both reading and writing, and a minimum Level 2 score of 4000 on the Algebra II EOC shall be exempt from the TSI Assessment required under this title for the mathematics section.
- ACT administered prior to February 15, 2023:
- Students who have graduated with an associate or baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education. Transcripts must be filed with Enrollment Services for verification purposes.
- Students who have previously attended any Texas public institution and have been determined to have met TSI requirements by that institution.
- A student who is enrolled in a certificate program of one year or less (Level-One certificates, 42 or fewer semester credit hours or the equivalent) at a public junior college, a public technical institute, or a public state college.
- A student who is serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Texas National Guard, or as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States and has been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment. Students must file a Verification of Active Duty form each semester with Enrollment Services.
- A student who on or after August 1, 1990, was honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard or service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States. A copy of the DD214 form showing this status is required and must be filed with Enrollment Services.
- A private or out-of-state college or university and who have satisfactorily completed college-level coursework as determined by a grade of C or better in courses that are recognized as requiring college-level reading, writing and/or mathematical skills as approved by UT Dallas.
A partial exemption allows a student to be exempt from part but not all of the TSI Assessment.
College Credit Exemption
- Dual credit coursework will be evaluated upon receipt of official transcripts with final course grades to declare partial TSI completion by test section (i.e., math, ELAR section exemption)
- Certain AP test credit (RHET 1302, MATH credit) may be used to declare partial TSI completion
- Students transferring courses from another institution of higher education may be exempted (partially or fully) upon review of official transcripts*.
*Note: Official transcripts should be submitted to UT Dallas Enrollment Services as soon as possible. Official evaluation must be completed to determine course equivalencies before a TSI waiver will be granted. If you are a student with a TSI Hold on your record, it must be removed prior to registering for courses. Contact an academic advisor in your program for more information.